by Lincoln Diamant

From "Monday, October 4, 1909"

UNDOUBTEDLY, the most important event of the day was Wilbur Wrightís fourth and most spectacular flight from Governers Island to a point about 1,000 feet north of Grantís Tomb, and return. The previous day, Glenn Curtiss had made an unofficial flight of 45 seconds. Heading for the Statue of Liberty, Curtiss momentarily lost control of his aeroplane and immediately returned to the ground, and today began packing up his flying machine for shipment to his next demonstration, in St. Louis. For Wilbur Wright weather conditions were again almost ideal. Two American flags were affixed to the front rudder of the Flyer, and a life preserver was placed near his feet. The aeronaut left the ground at 9:33 am, and headed directly up the Hudson River. Conflicting air currents caused the aeroplane to waver a little in its course, but all was well.

Hearing the factory and shipís whistles, crowds of people rushed to roofs and other points of vantage to salute the man-bird on his historic flight. He reached the southern end of the line of the great international war fleet that stretched ten miles north from 42nd Street.

From these death-dealing warships, any of which Wright could have destroyed with a single bomb, cheering sailors gazed in wonder and admiration at the daring aviator. Passing beyond Grantís Tomb, Wright made a semicircular turn towards the New Jersey shore. The maneuver, which occupied about three-quarters of a minute, was executed at a height of from 100 to 150 feet.

On the return trip, with the wind at his back, Wright reached the Governorís Island airfield at 10:26 am. He had been in the air 33 minutes and 33 seconds. The total distance covered by Wilbur Wright in his half-ton Flyer was reckoned to be about 20 miles. It was one of the most perilous air flights made up to that time. Wright said that air currents diverted by Manhattanís skyscrapers were bothersome, and particularly a puff which he experienced at 23rd Street, where he was flying lower than the height of the new Metropolitan Insurance tower. In the afternoon an unfortunate accident to the Flyer precluded further air voyages. At 3:30 pm, the aeroplane was brought out to the launching rail. After nine unsuccessful attempts to start the propeller, a sudden explosion blew off a cylinder head. Mr. Wright spread out his hands and said simply, "No more flights in New York." He had vindicated the confidence placed in him by the Commissionís Aeronautics Committee.

Within a month, the Wrights established their first flying school at College Park, Maryland.

Award-winning Hudson Valley historian Lincoln Diamant has translated his fatherís day-by-day reports of the festival for a Dutch newspaper and provided illuminating and engaging commentary on the city in 1909 and biographical sketches of Hudson and Fulton. An epilogue traces the fate of the replicas of the two vessels that were at center of the greatest party ever held in the Hudson Valley.

127 pages, illus., 7 x 10, 2003
paperback $15.00

Shipping: $4.50 per item on all U.S. domestic orders shipped via USPS Media Mail.

The Olde Brick Store
Hudson River Books

a service of FYI World Media, © 2012.

Free Shipping | This Month's Special | Contact Form
Hudson River History.com | Brick Collecting.com

Copyright © Purple Mountain Press. All rights reserved.